Monday, September 07, 2015

Bringing the Life Back

The door to this room opened with a reluctant creaking of long unused hinges.  So long dormant that they'd forgotten their purpose and were now loudly protesting being called into action.  Have you ever noticed that there's no place as cold and unwelcoming as a room that's long been vacant?  The warmth and life spirit stirred up by human activity has slowly seeped out of the myriad of tiny escape routes.  For a while there's hope that life will return but it fades over time as the emptiness remains. Eventually hope is abandoned.  Instead of the Bluebird of Happiness flying in the door the Chicken of Depression sits on the windowsill and stares morosely into the gloomy dead space.



Fortunately, it doesn't take long to bring a place back to life.  My intent is to throw open the windows to let some fresh air in.  As the room sees the light of day for the first time in years there's a dull gray cast to everything.  The sun's light, long absent from this room, shows that it's the reflection from a thick layer of dust and cobwebs.  It will take a bit of work but this place will soon be as vibrant and alive as it was before.  At least that's the plan.

It's been both a long three and a half years and time that's passed quickly.  Every day has been full but looking back it's gone by in a blur.


I'm still with TEAM OREGON though my role is slowly changing.  I've learned a lot in these years.  For example, it's possible to get to the point where one has no life outside of motorcycling.  For some that's a sweet dream come true but there's also a hidden curse.  One better understands the tales of sailors being pulled along by the sweet song of the Sirens only to find themselves so caught up that it becomes difficult to escape.

Another thing that's been revealed is that motorcycling is a microcosm of life in general.  Just about every phase of a person's life has a parallel in a rider's journey and progress.

Over the next while I'm compelled to share what I've learned.  Hopefully you'll find it a rewarding journey.

One thing that's been a blessing and has kept me from being totally consumed by motorcycling is my photography.  I like to think it's been steadily improving over the past few years.  A lot of that credit goes to Bobskoot.  (Rest in peace, my friend).  Bob generously shared his experience, knowledge, and encouragement with me when I was getting started. This last photo is a composite I put together as a tribute to Bob.  Find what symbolism you will in it.  You're welcome to share your thoughts on it here.  In fact, I'd appreciate it if you would.


Miles and smiles,

Dan

13 comments:

redlegsrides said...

Dan!

You're back and armed with great photographs and insights!

That last shot is outstanding!

Jason said...

Welcome back! Although the world has moved on from Reader to Feedly in your absence, I've kept a spot for Irondad open. Thanks for sharing your moto-bandwith with us again! I'll have to dig into some of your old posts before I head out for a ride this Friday.

Lucky said...

Glad you're back, Irondad!

I like the overall composition in your last photo, and the contrast between the deep blue and the colorful points of light is striking.

Trobairitz said...

Welcome back to blogging Dan. We've missed you.

I am glad you are sharing your photography with us too.

RichardM said...

Welcome back! I too like the last photo. The bird reminds me of a phoenix the bird from Greek mythology that is periodically reborn. Kind of like the blog. New readers, new topics and new photos.

Roy Karny said...

Excellent!
Missed you so much, made my day to see sign of life from you. Welcoming you with smile and a good Pat on your back.

irondad said...

I'm not sure what to say, exactly. The fact that you all are still out there and care is truly touching. Today is my birthday and I'm sitting in a hotel room on the Columbia River Gorge. State rate, not premium river view. :) It's been a day of reflecting on blessings and these comments are high on the list. Thank you all for that gift!! I'm thinking of how we all met one year in Bend and started this long friendship. Bobskoot would stop by to see me when he was passing through. Richard met me for coffee on his recent trip. I get to see Trobairitz and Troubadour on a regular basis. As I say, it's a great gift. I sincerely hope to give you all something here that will add value to your lives in return.

irondad said...

Roy,

I checked your blog. Love the skull x-ray with the motorcycle in the brain! Israel, eh? never realized.

Regards,

Dan

Steve Williams said...

Someone has found Photoshop. I wondered where you went and what you were doing.

Good to see a post from you again and that you've not lost the camera or the motorcycle.

Look forward to seeing more from you.

steve

Sojourner's Moto Tales said...

So true, "...motorcycling is a microcosm of life in general." I can only escape to a point and then the realities of my daily life trickle in, especially on the long trips. Lovely pics.

VStar Lady said...

Welcome back, looking forward to more once the room is aired.

Unknown said...

Though we speak regularly when our schedules coincide I can't help but check your blog
weekly. Over the last nearly two years I open this internet link hoping for new insights and experience from the master who conquers all when mind is focused, almost comparable to target fixation. There is no better insight into one's inner being than written text accompanied by beautiful artwork. I would like to believe these traits have been passed down to myself but only time and acquisition of knowledge will tell. I look forward to new posts with great anticipation!

Your son,

Ironbear

Greg Prosmushkin said...

Thanks for taking the time to share this informative post with us. This post was so wonderfully written and I hope to see more from you in the near future. Have a great rest of your day.
Greg Prosmushkin