Sunday, July 29, 2007

Humor and perspective to start the week

Here's a couple of humorous posters plus one to put the work week into perspective. I have no idea where they originated. A fellow instructor forwarded them to me. I apologize if I am committing a copyright infringement. I'm only passing them on, not claiming any sort of authorship.

In light of all the police training I've been involved in recently, this poster seemed to fit. Especially after being chased by motor officers on the race track. This looks to be a similar type of training in "violator pursuit", just with cruisers instead of bikes. I hold most law enforcement in high regard. This is just some humor afforded by the classic stereotype. The fact that it has a bike in it makes it even funnier to those of us who ride.

Some people really like bikes with "character". Me, I don't much favor having a bike with flaws disguised by calling them "character". I appreciate finely honed tools that do their jobs with just normal maintenance. Those maintenance intervals should be widely spaced. I have a few fellow riding enthusiasts who seem to be happy when their bikes break down. It gives them an excuse to pull the wrenches out and go for it. That's not how I "get down" or whatever the expression is. I don't insult these fellows but they seem to want to do it to me. I'm constantly getting crap about my "rice burners" in comparison to their fine Italian or English machinery. Well, guys, this one's for you!



Finally, for those who might be reading this blog and not quite having made the decision to ride to work regularly, here's another reason. Life's about attitude. It's not about what "happens" to us. It's about how we interpret events. Helpless victim or firmly in charge of our journey? Riding empowers us.



I hope your Monday is great! I've got some posts planned that I'm sure you'll find helpful and enjoyable. Life's been so busy that I've sort of been slacking off here. You will soon find my sense of fun and adventure, my somewhat sarcastic wit, and my stubborn attitude spilling out on these pages once again!
Miles and smiles,
Dan

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't put your sensitive bottom on a scooter seat, you'd be crying- the comments come thick and fast(I would have been hit by an apple core yesterday had I been tailgating)and mine's Italian too! You'd be surprised by the reliability. 25 miles each way daily.

Anonymous said...

+1 on low maintenance! I got the VFR based on mine and others experience with hondas. On the flip side, I don't mind getting under the fairing to do some basic tasks. Just makes me feel more attached to the machine. However since it doesn't have a keyboard and monitor attached to it, the complicated stuff goes to the professional mechanic =)

--Dan

Kano said...

I'm with you, basic maintenance is fine but anything else goes to a mechanic that knows what to do. It seems that the backyard car and bike mechanics are always having to work on them to keep them going. Probably because they screwed it up in the first place.

Lucky said...

I don't think my Triumph has "character" so much as "attitude."

Of course, my Triumph is a modern machine that can make it all the way across the parking lot without stalling for no reason, dumping oil, or losing power to the headlight.

As a moto-commuter, I sure would like it if I only had to do maintenance every 20,000 miles or so... (apart from tires and oil.)

Allen Madding said...

the reason the british don't make televisions is they couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil.

irondad said...

Anonymous,
I'm not sure how my "sensitive bottom" got into this. Interestingly, that's not the part of my anatomy that suffers when I sit on a scooter and try to get my knees together!

Dan,
Exactly. My run is 198 miles round trip so I appreciate reliability and the 16,000 mile valve adjustment intervals. Like you, I enjoy doing my own maintenance. I just like to do it on my own terms, not having it forced on me by the bike.

Kano,
I had an old friend who was sort of cranky but unquestionably a great mechanic. I'd call him once in a while to ask his advice on some problem with a bike. I couldn't always afford newer bikes, you know.

Dale's first question would be,
"What did you mess with last?"

Lucky,
"attitude" and "character" are two entirely different things! Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that the bike and the rider aren't all that different? I mean that as a good thing, by the way.

Allen,
I wonder if Katie would be more tolerant of a grease spot from a television than an old bike I drug in once?

The other reason they didn't make TV's was that Lucas electronics didn't put out much light, either!

Steve Williams said...

If I ever get stopped by the police I really shouldn't mention doughnuts right?

My Vespa GTS has a 6000 mile interval for oil and filter changes. Most scooter people cringe at that and say I should go with 3000 miles. I've decided to jsut follow the maintenance book from Piaggio and see what happens. The valve adjustments are at 8000 (I think). Same for belt changes. Rear tires are the real killer needing changed around 3400 miles for me.

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

irondad said...

Steve,

It would be wise to avoid what we call F.A.T. ( failing the attitude test! )

I'm amazed that a scooter would eat rear tires like that. If I didn't know better I'd say you were a little aggressive in your riding!

Anonymous said...

I like the posters, esp. the last one about the helmet.

"I hope your Monday is great!"

My Monday was absutively wonderful, for a change! I finally found a job, and am now a 2-wheeled commuter (at least 'til I chicken out from the ice in the winter). It's about 20 miles each way, mixed city, country, & highway.

I go a little slower at night on the country roads 'cause of possible critter encounters. Going home at 2am there's almost no traffic, so that's nice.

In fact, last night ... er, this morning... 2am Friday... I made it all the way from the parking lot at work to my driveway without touching foot to pavement. There are traffic control devices along the way, but with no traffic around I can go as slow as I need to let the light change. It's now a game.