Sunday, January 07, 2007


Writer's block!

A certain reader and accomplished blogger, an administrator at a university in a state starting with the letters PENN, has more or less asked for a happy story for once. Come on, for heaven's sake! I'm a Warrior. What do people think I'm going to write about? Tea parties and lace tablecloths? No!!! I do battle. I keep my sword sharpened. Some nights are spent pounding the dents out of my armor. Besides, I thought that all the growth in humanity, the intrigue and fascination, and the personal satisfaction came from the struggle. It's been the formula for countless centuries in literature and history. Good versus Evil. Red devil on one shoulder and white angel on the other. Powerful dynasties weren't built by trading "sunshine stories" over cups of hot chocolate. Some of my stories are happy. At least by my definition.

Admit it. Don't you feel happy when some mush-for-brains driver gets what they deserve? It sure makes the corners of my mouth turn upwards when their stupid plans are thwarted. There's no better joy than leaving them in the dust to wallow in their own miserable existence!!

I'll concede that people can get to the point where there's too much drama in their life. Most folks can't live on "Red Alert" all the time. Maybe a break is in order. I can do "warm and fuzzy". At least I'm pretty sure. I've been writing and communicating for a long time. Somewhere along the way I must have done "warm and fuzzy" at least a time or two. Yeah, that's it, I remember that time, now. I could do it again. Probably.

I know I'm going to end up like those plundering Vikings on the Capital One credit card commercials, but I'll give it a try. I'm going to work on being a little less of a Grizzly Bear and a little more like a Teddy Bear. I swear I've been looking for "happy" things to write about. It's just that there haven't been any jumping up in front of me. I'm suffering from writer's block. Not being one to quit once I've embarked on a path of travel, I'll keep looking for "happy". Stay tuned. There's bound to be something out there somewhere.

Miles and smiles ( and maybe "happy" )

Dan

6 comments:

Allen Madding said...

If you write a warm fuzzy, I'm pretty sure I'll puke. Thanks for the article on pushing yourself out of the comfort zone and continuing to hone our riding skills.

Balisada said...

I don't know about warm and fuzzy, but I thought that the story of your adventures with the Humvee and the left turn was rather hilarious.

Balisada

Combatscoot said...

Good news is pretty tough to write about. Good luck!
John

Anonymous said...

Just sit back, and enjoy the break. "Writer's block" is just your brain's way of telling you that it has had enough for awhile.

I've been there, done that, many times. It will pass, all by itself. (Drinking sometimes helps, as long as you don't over-do it.)

Ride well, and leave the writing for later.

=gc=

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for the delay in posting the replies. Had to make a flying trip to a distributor in Northern California. Couldn't get internet access at the hotel for some reason. We just take these things for granted, now, don't we?

allen,
I might do the same thing. New territory, and all. It always feels good to provide inspiration to someone. Sometimes I inspire people to want to choke me!

balisada,
Every time I ride by there now I have to laugh.

combatscoot,
Must be why you see so little on the TV news. Bad news sells. Not sure why.

gary,
Like the drinking part. Watch the world go by with whiskey in hand and wait for inspiration.

Dan

Steve Williams said...

If you can't write warm and fuzzy maybe you can go all gooey and squishy. You have named your bike Sophie afterall. That's a start!

I'm going to be anxiously awaiting some good news from here! Your bike starts right and you can ride it? That can be really good news.