Friday, August 29, 2008

New public service announcements from NHTSA

Mary Peters, the National Transportation Secretary, recently took some heat for wanting to pull funds from motorcycle training to apply to helmet law related things. This effort was abandoned for now. There are, however, some good things to come out on the national level.

The Director of our training program has been in D.C. this week. He sent this link to a site that contains materials for public awareness of preventing impaired driving and riding. I've seen some of these ads on television already. This is an effort backed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Seeing as to how we're going into a holiday weekend, it seemed a good time to share the link.

I tried to include a couple of the pictures here but they were too big to easily load. You'll just have to go see for yourself.

You can see it here.


Have a safe and relaxing Labor Day weekend!

Miles and smiles,

Dan

7 comments:

Bryce said...

Different approach to an ongoing problem. Looks like somebody had fun filling vehicles with liquids!

Oh and BTW Dan send two blog replies in...neither appeared. Weird?
Did the e-mail arrive satisfactorly?

ootvart

Stacy said...

I think I like the poster with the beer-filled helmet the best. An immediately arresting image. (Boy, I'm too punny!)

Dan, I put some pictures of my seat up here: Your Butt Will Thank You.

RazorsEdge2112 said...

HA! I have seen the one with the beer-filled helmet on television. I want to know where I can get one of those!!!

Ack - I am a tea-totaler and very anal when it comes to drinking. 1 beer = 3 hours before riding or driving.

Tequila? No riding or driving for at least 12 hours... I like tequila. :-)

Dean W said...

Ever seen the ones out of the UK's Think! campaigns? Try this one.

Or for example, these are aimed at UK military people who ride...
British Troops Debris
British Troops Autobahn

Stacy said...

This is one of my favorites: Oblivious Guy

RazorsEdge2112 said...

ooo... Stacy! I like that one!

Bryce said...

Just looked at the Oregon ride program website Team Oregon.

And have some questions for Dan..

First of all don't you receive winter in Oregon? I know you do as I've see your photos, snow on the ground although I would expect it would rather wet and soggy. However I can not envisage teaching a class while it's snowing, and of course there is the chance of freezing on the surface of the class course area.

The reason for the above was the courses run 12 months a year;round here they stop in about three weeks..winter arrives, or at least heavy frost on the roads, which doesn't leave easily. Cold nights too. A quadracycle makes perfect sense here.

And noting where the courses are located, do you as an instructor always stay in a general area or can be asked to cover anywhere in the state?

And my final question, although it is noted the course has no failures, what would constitute same, or would somebody on course suggest the person shouldn't even though they've tried their darndest?

Ciao