Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Stay on top of things.....literally!

I usually try to stay with original content here. Which means my own writings, as painful as they are to wade through! Today, however, two things came together to make me deviate from that pattern for the second time in a couple of days. All right, you guys, I didn't say it made me a deviate, I said it made me deviate. There's actually a difference there. Pay attention.

I'm headed out the door to teach a riding skills clinic. Secondly, this is just too good not to share. This is a news release from the Oregon State Police.

News Release from: Oregon State Police
VIDEO RELEASED OF MOTORCYCLIST CRASHING NEXT TO OSP TROOPER REMINDER TO SLOW DOWN AND PAY ATTENTION
Posted: July 15th, 2009 9:07 AM


Photo/sound file: http://www.flashalertnewswire.net/images/news/2009-07/061809.i84mp85.mtc.crash.wmv

An Oregon State Police (OSP) in-car video of an incident that happened June 18th is being released after a motorcycle operator pled guilty to Careless Driving when he lost control and separated from his motorcycle. The in-car video caught the sliding motorcycle and rolling operator as both passed the trooper's stopped patrol car along Interstate 84 in The Dalles.

Following several recent serious injury and fatal traffic crashes, some involving motorcycles, the video is a great example of why it is so important to drive at the posted speed limits, to be aware of your surroundings and not be distracted. "It only takes a second for something to happen that you may have to react to while keeping your vehicle under control," said OSP The Dalles Area Command Sergeant Pat Shortt.

On June 18, 2009 at 7:18 a.m. OSP Senior Trooper Michael Holloran was sitting in his stopped OSP patrol car on the right eastbound shoulder of Interstate 84 near milepost 85 writing information in his notebook. With the patrol car's radar unit on, Holloran heard an approaching fast vehicle and began to look in the side mirror when he saw a motorcycle lose control. The motorcycle dropped onto its side and the operator went down onto the pavement as the radar unit obtained a speed of 85 mph.

The sliding motorcycle and rolling operator both went past the stationary patrol car and surprised trooper. Shortly after the motorcycle's operator, KENNETH CARL THEIMAN JR., age 31, from Dallesport, Washington, stopped rolling, Holloran got out of the patrol car and ran up to help THEIMAN as he was picking himself up off the pavement.

THEIMAN told Holloran that he was surprised how quickly things happened when he lost control of the motorcycle. THEIMAN thought his speed was about 85 mph when he lost control.

THEIMAN was transported by ambulance to Mid-Columbia Medical Center for treatment of minor injuries, mostly abrasions. He was wearing a protective helmet.

Holloran cited THEIMAN for Careless Driving and he pled guilty in Wasco County Circuit Court.

Video Source: Oregon State Police (Note: there is no audio until the end of the 47 second video clip)


I can just imagine sitting in the car and seeing the bike going by. Shortly thereafter, here comes the rider. It sounds like the rider was a bit shocked, too.

Ride prudently and stay on top of things!

Miles and smiles,

Dan

15 comments:

Dean W said...

I was just about to send that one to you. It's not often OSP gets to be first to the crash scene...

Balisada said...

I read that news release too.

I actually object to it in a way.

They are right in the fact that there have been several accidents lately involving motorcycles, but some have not been the fault of the motorcyclist.

The accident on I5 with the grandfather and grandson is clearly not the fault of the motorcyclist. The article I read stated that the driver of the vehicle was cited for careless driving and unlawful lane change.

The other accident that I recall in the last few weeks was a driver swerving into another lane to avoid an obstacle. Unfortunately, there was a motorcyclist in the lane at the time.

But, I will give them the other motorcycle accident in the headlines. The information about motorcyclist in East Multnomah County that was killed is minimal.

Of course, I perceived the release as a reminder to motorcyclists, but it is probably a reminder to all drivers on the road.

I must be in a mood. I think I must have rode to work on a broomstick today instead of a motorcycle. (cue evil wicked witch of the west background music)


Ta!

Balisada

cpa3485 said...

I guess If you are going to have an accident, right next to a trooper would be a convenient place. Can't believe he wasn't hurt any worse than he was.

Conchscooter said...

Notice how he rolled down the road, promptly stood up and started swearing like a fish wife. Hitting something as you slide is the fatal part. Bad luck plays a role (careless ticket) and loud mufflers got him caught on radar.Oh well shit happens only if you are out there riding around.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the video should be used as a
fill during local public television pledge breaks?

Maybe then to suggest if you don't contribute this could happen to you!

Seriously if the bike and rider went past the stationary cruiser how did the camera follow the action?

And even though the driver was
convicted, what was his penalty, aside from being seen for his 15 seconds of fame?

Dave said...

Dan
If you want to keep your deviate
states you need to show up at more of the meetings :) were have you been lately?

Old F

Krysta in MKE said...

How many LEOs get to document their NSTIW* stories so well?

Glad the guy wasn't hurt worse. I sometimes worry about ending up like that when I'm a little happy on the throttle.

(no s***, there I was)

Joe said...

I linked to this with credit. Great footage.

Lucky said...

It always scares the crap outta me when a LEO is pulled over on the shoulder. And the fear has nothing to do with getting caught speeding... what really scares me is how people react when they see a cop. All of a sudden everybody's hitting the brakes (yes - even those who weren't speeding) and target fixation kicks-in where they don't see anything but the flashing cherries on the squad car. Talk about deer-in-the-headlights syndrome. Meanwhile, I'm evaluating every possible exit strategy and trying to anticipate what the scared flock of sheep will be doing next!

Ride safe,
Lucky

irondad said...

Dean W,

So the question is, did the accident just happen to occur by the cop car, or did the rider's reaction to the car cause the crash?

Balisada,

The press does seem to like to bash motorcyclists. Headlines are slanted to look like the motorcyclists brought things upon themselves. I'm pretty sure the State Police don't mean it that way.

I saw your bike at LBCC when I was teaching an RSP. It was parked out in the cheap sheets. Didn't look much like a broomstick to me!

cpa3485,

It would be much more convenient to crash next to an ambulance. However, the cop car was a close second. When the trooper went to help the rider he told him an ambulance was already on the way. I share your feelings on the injury factor.


Take care,

Dan

irondad said...

Conchscooter,

I find it entertaining to see how much the rider was in shock. Funny because it didn't happen to me, of course. Are you saying it's better to have ridden and crashed than to never have ridden at all?

Bryce,

The car's dash cam was running as a matter of routine. The bike and rider happened to slide into the field of view.

Don't know the penalty. Probably it will only be for the speed violation. Of course, a case could be made for littering!

Take care,

Dan

irondad said...

Dave,

Deviates R Us? Sorry to have neglected the meetings. Maybe I'll be perverse and start attending again!

Krysta,

Nothing like documentation to prove the "One that got away" story, eh? I was never that lucky!

Joe,

No problem. I stole it from the State Police in the first place!

Take care,

Dan

irondad said...

Lucky,

I saw that just yesterday. I was on Highway 34 headed to finally introduce myself to Brad, of Troubadour on a Triumph fame. There was the Nissan Versa being driven by a cell phone distracted young woman. I was in the right lane on the bike. She was in the hammer lane and passing at a high rate of speed.

Coming the other way was a County Mounty. Talk about slamming on the brakes! That would have been okay, but she tried to crowd into the right lane right in front of me. I saw the cop give her a hard look but it was evident he was on the way to something more urgent.

How cool to have seen her pulled over, though!

Take care,

Dan

Dean W said...

My completely uninformed guess is the rider was somewhere north of 100mph (which is automatic "go to jail" territory in Oregon) saw the OSP cruiser, and panicked. The rider caused the crash- the OSP officer was the trigger.

Orygunner said...

Just because the original video isn't available anymore, I think this is the same video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7aFl9-d3WI

Frank.