Thursday, November 12, 2009

Love me, love my bike!



One of the reasons I started this blog was to promote riding as, not only fun, but as everyday transportation. At least, as much as possible. Sometimes the things or people we need to transport preclude two wheels. Other times the weather conditions prevent riding safely. Yes, I sometimes ride in "dicey" traction conditions. I'm not encouraging anyone else to do that. There are times I choose to do so. That's just me. At the same time, I'm always aware of limits and stay within them.

In accord with the sentiment in the poster above, most of my business travel is now done on two wheels. ( By the way, thanks again to Stacy who stiched two pictures together for me to make a whole poster ) I have the full blessing of the guy who signs my paychecks. Farther down I've shared an e-mail exchange between the boss and I that illustrates the situation


The goal has been to make riding so much a part of my life that when people think of me they think of motorcycles. I've made this statement in the blog before. It's who I am, it's what I do. More specifically, I want to be thought of as someone who uses a bike for primary transportation. It's been pretty successful so far.

There are some foks, however, who for various reasons have prejudices against people who ride. I don't need to go into it here. We all have our own examples of those who represent us in a less than favorable light. Sometimes people have fears and prejudices that aren't anyone else's fault. Just a bad experience in an earlier time can be a reason. So why am I bringing this up here?

It's pertinent to the post. We recently came under the guidance of a new Regional Director in our corporate world. He has responsibility for everything West of the Rockies. We are being summoned to Kirkland in December to get introduced. Thus my inquiry.

I didn't want to cause a problem for my boss by just showing up on the bike. Yes, I could just force the situation. Sometimes there's a place for diplomacy. I'm pleased to report, as you can see, that the bike and I are considered a package. Here is the e-mail string. The most recent message is first so you'll have to start at the bottom. I've deleted the actual e-mail addresses in the interest of preventing spam opportunities. Not because I don't trust you all!

From: "Dana Murray"
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:21:42 -0800
To: Dan Bateman
Subject: RE: Bob Brust

No problem “Easy Rider”
Dana

R Dana Murray AHC, Principal
Door Security Solutions PNW
Pro-Spec Agency
Kirkland, WA

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.




From: danb@********* [mailto:danb@*****] Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:40 AMTo: Dana Murray

Subject: Re: Bob Brust

Not sure that I will, depending on snow and ice, but will anyone be offended if I ride the bike up? Don't want to give Bob Brush a negative perception.



Dan


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry




From: "Dana Murray"


Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 08:36:09 -0800
To: ( dan's note: the list of the whole gang )

Subject: Bob Brust

RE: Meet and Greet

To All

Meeting on Dec 16th in Kirkland to meet and greet with Bob Brust.
Please make arrangements to be here that day.
Dana

R Dana Murray AHC, Principal
Door Security Solutions PNW
Pro-Spec Agency
Kirkland, WA

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.


So like I say, love me love my bike!


Miles and smiles,


Dan

10 comments:

Mike said...

It's always good to get the approval from headquarters. I like that - "Easy Rider". Hope the weather is good when you go.

cpa3485 said...

yeah, Dan, you're a package!
I think I might have just showed up on the scooter, but then again I am self employed, and have few to answer to. One of my clients and their attorney have said that they want to buy a life insurance policy on me. Just yesterday, I showed up for a meeting with them together, and of course, I rode.
Like you, I am sort of out to prove to the world that commuting on 2 wheels is practical, safe and fun. I may never be able to completely change their opinion of what I do, but I think I have nudged them a little closer to my side of the story.
More power to you!

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave said...

Dan I know all to well as we get older we can get forgetful

But chalking locate in the parking lot were you are the only bike
Seems a bit much : )

Dave AKA Old F

irondad said...

Mike,

The "Easy Rider" part came from a photo the boss put on a birthday card to me last year. I put up with it even though I am far from that stereotype!

cpa3485 ( Jim),
I wanted to be careful because it would have reflected directly on my boss at a high corporate level. A small victory could have meant a bigger loss to me down the road.

Keep representing us, you daredevil accountant!

Take care,

Dan

irondad said...

Dave,
I don't usually use chalk. However, it was far too wet for my usual breadcrumbs!

Take care,

Dan

RichardM said...

You may want to "x" out the phone number unless that is the main number for the company.

irondad said...

Richard,
It is the main number, but I deleted it. Thanks for drawing it to my attention. Wouldn't want them subject to massive marketing calls. That's our job!

Take care,

Dan

Anonymous said...

Hmm this one is difficult.
I think of Dan Bateman as a friend, albeit one at a long distance, and quite likely we'll never meet in person. Dan is connected with motorcycling, however he has shown to those reading his blog another side of him, a side perhaps we don't always see. Blogs are often one-sided, the side of the blogger. Others participate yet, others too have their own ideas.
So I felt sadness when Sophie went on to another owner, more sadness when Dan was kind enough to print
my farewell and goodbye to motorcycling. Dan revealed himself in other ways, carrying a Christmas tree home on the back of a motorcycle similar to the Vespa
tree hauler in Pennsylvania. So to view the once seen Kawasaki
advertisement of the company automobile of two wheels wasn't surprised when there was a flurry of communications (Dan did you mean to mis-spell the name of the new head honcho, once?) about riding
a two wheeled motorized transportation device to a very special meeting.

May I suggest Dan that perhaps the new persona who shall sign your pay cheques maybe read your blog, to find out what who you are, at least in your writings.

Oh, and while I am thinking of it, if Steve Williams can purchase another four-legged companion, maybe another cat in your household would be appropriate???

Keep smiling, keep riding, and enjoy.

Unknown said...

Ain't it great to loved and understood? LOL

Dave T.